Happy July 4th (almost!)!! I love the 4th of July-filled with summertime fun in the sun, and a cookout with friends and family. Uh, oh! Cookout?! We can have a great cookout too! There is such beautiful food in season right now, and as I always say-I'm "in-season for a reason"! Utilize those fresh berries, greens, and herbs to your benefit and create some gorgeous, healthy dishes to share with friends and family! Here's how to have a star-spangled weekend:
1) Appetizers! We all love to nosh-here's two of my easy ones:
2) Bring cold salads along. I love my edamame salad on top of other greens. One of my biggest hits is my oil-free coleslaw and buckwheat tabbouleh! All can be made ahead!
3) Bring some veggie burgers along, so you can put something on the grill too!
4) Marinate some veggies and skewer them, and bring those along too! Find an oil-free stir-fry marinade or make my miso marinade!
5) Dessert-make some fruit-kabobs for the kiddos or my strawberry rhubarb cream pie! The filling would make a perfect fruit dip! If making the pie, make sure it stays cold so it doesn't mush out!
Or-cobblers always are HUGE hits and easy for a crowd!
Cherry cobbler, peach cobbler, or strawberry rhubarb cobbler
6) Looking for an easy cocktail you can make ahead?! Try my white wine sangria! Oh-and the drunken fruit is the best the next day!! Hey-it's red white and blue!
And of course....don't forget the sunscreen!
Enjoy and be safe! Until next week...happy, healthy eating!
Jessica from www.gardenfreshfoodie.com
Read more about 3 Plant-Based BBQ Tips for July 4th.