check out cherries!
I LOVE summer fruit. I can't eat enough of it right now. The juiciness is so hydrating and revitalizing. There are so many that I love-but cherries, cherries are special. Unlike most other fruits, cherries really are still sold in season (thankfully). What this means is that, we wait for cherry season. The benefits are huge. In-season produce travels less, and has higher levels of antioxidants retained than those that have been picked before ripening and shipping.When we pick, we pick a lot. Cherries freeze wonderfully, and the health benefits of frozen cherries are not much different than fresh. Just be sure to pit them before freezing. Cherries have such amazing properties for reducing inflammation in the body. They have been linked to many healing benefits. Here are a few:
- reducing flair ups with arthritis
- lowering uric acid and nitric oxide build up, both important for gout flair ups
- contain natural melatonin to aid in restful sleep
- lowers risk of stroke (reduces inflammation)
- reduces muscle pain after a workout (inflammation)