7 delicious plant-based desserts for the holidays
It feels like sugar is everywhere during the holidays… Whether you're at work, school, parties, or family gatherings, it’s like we can’t escape it. So go on, indulge— with better-for-you, healthier options that satisfy cravings and help you stay on track. Check out our roundup of decadent desserts (minus the dairy) from some of our favorite blogs. They're easy to share with loved ones. Or keep for them yourself! No one’s judging.
4 Ingredient Easy Vegan Brownies
Whip up rich, fudgy brownies that are naturally sweet and so easy to make. This simple recipe from Minimalist Baker is a must-have, especially if you have some last-minute holiday shopping to do.
2 cups of dates (pitted). If dry, soak in warm water until tender.
1/4 cup of warm water
1/2 cup salted peanut butter (if unsalted, add a pinch of salt).
2tbsp melted coconut oil.
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup of dairy-free dark chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 365 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Blend the dates until they form small balls.
- Once blended, separate the dates into chunks using a spoon, add hot water and blend till a sticky batter forms. Add the chocolate and walnuts. Scraping the sides as needed.
- Spread the batter evenly on the loaf tin.
- Enjoy warm or cooled.
Low-Fat Vegan Vanilla Pudding
With a handful of ingredients and a few minutes on the stove, you’ll end up with a silky, delicious pudding from The Spruce Eats that’s healthier (yay, it’s cholesterol-free) and versatile. Jazz it up with lemon or raspberries, or fill up a pie crust.
1/3 cup of sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp fine salt
1 tsp vanilla
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan, slowly adding soy milk to avoid lumps.
- Cook the mixture over low heat. Ensure you stir it constantly until it thickens, then cook for three more minutes.
- Remove the pudding from the heat and add the vanilla. Let cool for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Serve when chilled for 2 to 3 hours.
Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
Moist, fluffy and chocolatey, this vegan chocolate cake by Veggie Desserts is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser… and the best part is, it doesn't have eggs or dairy. Even better? These easily turn into perfect cupcakes if that’s more your mood.
1 ¼ cups of plant milk
1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
2/3 cup vegan butter
3 tbsp of syrup of choice
1 tsp instant coffee granules
2 ¼ cups of plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
⅓ cup vegan butter
1 ⅔ cups powdered icing sugar
4 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsps water
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F and lightly grease your pan.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk and let it curdle.
- Melt the butter, syrup, and coffee together in a pot over medium heat. Let it cool.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl.
- Pour wet mixture over the flour and stir into a smooth batter.
- Divide mixture into two pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool in a baking tin and then on the cooling rack.
- As it cools, mix all the icing ingredients until smooth, then spread on the cake.
Vegan + Gluten-Free 1-Bowl Pumpkin Bread
Fluffy, with flavors of the season, this perfectly spiced, not-too-sweet loaf makes a killer breakfast, snack, or dessert for gatherings.
1 ½ batch flax eggs (1 ½ tbsp flaxseed meal + 4 tbsp water)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
3/4 cup pumpkin purée
2 tbsp mashed ripe banana
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (plus more to taste)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (plus more to taste)
1/2 cup water
1 heaping cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 heaping cup almond meal
1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend*
3 tbsp raw pepitas
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease or line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add pumpkin, mashed banana, maple syrup, and olive oil to flax eggs and whisk to combine.
- Next, add brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice and whisk. Pour in water and whisk again.
- Stir together oats, almond meal, and gluten-free flour blend. (If it seems too wet, add in another couple tbsp of oats or GF flour blend. It should be semi-thick and pourable).
- Scoop into loaf pan and top with raw pepitas.
- Bake for 40-47 minutes or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let set in pan for at least 20 minutes. Gently transfer to a plate to cool.
Chocolate and peanut butter… is there anything better? Throw together these simple and delicious treats by Love & Lemons quickly—no oven needed. But we're warning you: these cookies are highly addictive.
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsps cocoa powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole rolled oats
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On medium heat, melt coconut oil on a saucepan. Whisk in maple syrup, peanut butter, cocoa, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in oats. Then scoop the batter into a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
Coconut Ice Cream
You only need a blender, 4 good-for-you ingredients and 10 minutes to make this creamy, dairy-free dream by Chocolate Covered Katie. Enjoy it as is, or use it as a base for 5 other delicious flavors.
1 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup plant milk
1/4cup sweetener of choice
Pinch of Stevia
1/8 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix. If you have an ice cream maker, use it to churn the mixture according to the manufacturer's directions. If you don't have an ice cream machine, you can pour the mixture into your ice cube trays then blend the ice cubes in a high-speed blender.
Get festive and cozy up with the best vegan desserts and treats, perfect to share with the family and bring to holiday parties.
Round out your meal with more plant-based goodness from Veestro’s best-selling menu.