3 plant-based bbq tips for july 4th
1. Take advantage of Umami The human tongue was previously known to have the ability to taste four main flavors: sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. But in 1908, Japanese scientist, Kikunae Ikeda, discovered the fifth flavor, or in this case, sensation, Umami. Loosely translated to “delicious,” Umami is responsible for the satiability of the food. Ikeda found that foods containing higher amounts of glutamate tended to be more flavorful and satisfying. Perhaps you have heard of MSG, the devil-like substance added to many Asian dishes. Although monosodium glutamate is a processed version of the flavor enhancer, glutamate is naturally occurring in many foods, especially plant-based! A few of the top umami-containing foods include:
- Mushrooms—especially shitakes and porcinis
- Tomatoes—sun-dried, tomato paste, and ketchup
- Fermented foods—soy sauce or tamari, liquid aminos, vegan Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, umeboshi plum vinegar, miso, wine, beer and tempeh
- Potatoes—our Breakfast Burrito with potatoes is perfect for the grill
Happy Fourth of July!