10 foods that boost your brain
Stress and lack of sleep can get in the way, affecting our memory and ability to focus. Our bodies push back, releasing inflammation. These chemicals turn on our immune systems, and fight off stress as if it were an illness. We want this in small doses to protect and repair the body. However, when stress becomes a habit, this type of inflammation has been linked to negative health effects like high blood pressure, autoimmune diseases and more.
One of the most significant elements we can control, is the nutrients we consume through food. Whether you're studying for finals or juggling multiple projects at once, reach for foods that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and good fats to boost your energy, and help protect against brain diseases.
Ready to get your brain in top-shape? We’ve rounded up the top 10 plant-based foods to keep your brain healthy and high-functioning:
1. Spinach - filled with brain-protective antioxidants, plus folate and vitamin K.
2. Avocado - a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats, potassium and vitamins help to protect brain cells.
3. Blueberries - prime source of antioxidants that help fend off damaging free radicals.
4. Kale - powerhouse of vitamins, iron and potassium.
5. Asparagus - has prebiotics to maintain brain-healthy gut flora
6. Broccoli - supports cognitive functioning, detox toxins and reduce inflammation.
7. Garbanzo Beans - relaxes the blood vessels, which allows for more blood flow to the brain.
8. Turmeric - powerful anti-inflammatory to boost immunity and oxygen pumping to your brain.
9. Walnuts - filled with omega-3 fatty acids that help to increase brain function and promote healing.
10. Chocolate - a good source of antioxidants that may boost blood flow in the brain.
Veestro’s delicious, healthy plant-based meals make life that much easier. Delivered straight to your door, all you have to do is pick your favorite dishes, heat and love. Who knows how much you’ll accomplish with that extra edge?
Read more about memory boosting superfoods.