How protein and fiber help digestion and muscle recovery (and where to get them on a plant based diet)
A balanced diet is a key part of supporting optimal health, and including both protein and fiber in your diet comes with many benefits. From helping keep our digestion working smoothly to assisting our muscles recover after exercise, both are important parts of a healthy plant-based diet. Thankfully, there are some delicious plant-based ways to enjoy both on a daily basis.
The Importance of Protein
While we often associate protein with muscle recovery, we actually need dietary protein for many important functions in the body;
- Helps promote satiety (keeping us full after we eat)
- May help reduce cravings (especially when we choose high-quality plant-based protein-rich foods to fuel our body with the nutrients it craves!)
- Helps increase muscle mass as well as muscle strength
- May help support a healthy weight
- Helps support repair after injury
5 Yummy Ways to Get Plant-Based Protein Into Your Diet
Why We Need Dietary Fiber
Fiber is most well-known for keeping us regular (a key part of healthy digestion), but optimizing our fiber intake in our plant-based diets does so much more:
- Helps promote satiety
- Soluble fiber (like those found in beans and oats) has been known to help lower cholesterol levels
- May help support stable blood sugar levels
- Known to help support a healthy weight since fiber is filling, so we may eat less in one sitting with fiber-rich meals
5 Delicious Plant-Based Fiber-Rich Foods
- Rolled oats
5 Creative Ways to Get Both Protein & Fiber in One Meal
Need some meal inspiration? Here are five ways to whip up both a fiber and protein-rich meal that tastes amazing and fits well into a plant-based diet.
- Whip up a veggies scramble with tofu, beans, and dark leafy greens for a filling and nourishing breakfast.
- Enjoy a burrito bowl made with quinoa, beans, dark leafy greens, and your favorite dressing.
- Make a plant-based smoothie with almond milk, berries, avocado, dark leafy greens, chia, and flax seeds.
- Bake a sweet potato and fill with beans, tempeh, and guacamole.
- Try one of Veestro’s delicious meal options like a Poached Mushroom Wrap or a Golden Chickpea Stew.
Enjoying More Fiber & Protein is Easy When You Eat Plant-Based
With all the benefits of eating more fiber and protein, it’s important to focus on healthy and wholesome ways to get more into our diets. The good news is that eating plant-based makes it easy to get both into our diet regularly.
Use these yummy ways to fit more into your diet and reap all the benefits plant-based eating has to offer.