It is a common misconception that healthy people have to deny themselves anything rich, creamy, sweet or moderately resembling a dessert. On the contrary, if you have honed your palate to the world of flavor variations and natural sweeteners, there are innumerable delicious options for that holiday treat or sweet craving. Many of the classic ingredients in childhood favorites are natural to begin with, like cocoa, vanilla, peanut butter or coconut. So forget all the premixes and sugar laden dairy blends and bring dessert back to the basics and the table!
A simple tip to making glutton worthy treats is substitution.
- For crisp, buttery pie crusts, make them out of ground almonds or pecans with a little agave or maple syrup, coconut, oat or almond flour, coconut oil and a pinch of salt.
- For anything chocolate, raw cocoa powder is a gem!
- Arrowroot powder acts like cornstarch for thickening and gelling pies or tarts.
- Sugar is easily replaced with agave nectar, stevia, maple syrup, raw honey or barley malt.
- Don’t forget the power of fruit for sweetening or topping.
- Butter is easy to switch with coconut oil or a savory oil in spiced desserts.
- For baking that requires eggs, try a mashed banana, applesauce or 3 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed!
- Or save time in the kitchen and order Veestro’s Chocolate Covered Cheezcake or Raspberry Tofu Cheezcake!
This season bring back the decadent and don’t feel guilty about it. For an afternoon of family fun in the kitchen, try these classic No Bake Cookies.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup of maple syrup or your preferred liquid sweetener
- ½ cup of almond milk or your preferred milk alternative
- 4 tablespoons of raw, organic cocoa powder
- ½ cup all natural peanut butter
- 3 ¼ cup steel cut oats
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
In a saucepan, bring the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk and cocoa powder to a boil for one minute. Remove it from the heat and slowly stir in the peanut butter, oats and vanilla. Drop by tablespoons onto wax paper and let it cool. These are a great treat any time of year!
Don’t ever be dessert shy again. Let your creative health flow into your kitchen and see what delectable inspirations come forth.